lemon blueberry whole wheat scones.

And we have more cloudy days. Not my particular favourite, but nothing a little tea and scones can't fix!  I love everything about tea parties, getting to use my vintage dishes from England, the teapots, the wonderfully patterned, thrifted tableclothes. the dessert, everything.

This recipe is based on one from my childhood.  Yes, I was that child that was raised on scones and forced all of her friends into tea parties at a very early age.  Usually we make plain scones, or add cheddar cheese, but today I decided that I wanted something lighter and more summery.  Blueberries with lemon is one of my favourite flavour combinations!
lemon blueberry whole wheat scones.

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour.
1 C. unbleached flour.
1/4 C. sugar.
3 tsp. baking powder.
1/2 C. cold butter cut into cubes.
1 egg.
2/3 C. milk.
zest and juice of one lemon.
1/4 C. blueberries, plus more for putting on top.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the flours, baking powder and sugar together. In a seperate bowl lightly beat egg and add milk.  Cut in butter into dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients. Add zest and lemon juice and fold in blueberries.  Shape dough into 8 balls and place on a baking sheet.  Flatten into disks roughly 1/2" thick, making a small dent in the centre of each.  Place a spoonful of berries in the centre of each scone and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown.  Serve with tea, lemon curd, devonshire cream or maybe just a little bit of butter! Makes 8.
My goal this summer is to go on a lot of tea parties/picnics, so hopefully this is just the beginning! Happy Happy Monday! xo.

1 comment:

  1. Okay so... we are going to live together and you are going to bake and I'm going to look cute. So are you. Sound like a plan?

    ReplyDelete