drink me: rhubarb soda.

Well it's mid June and my rhubarb plant is finally ready to be picked! I've waited all year to have rhubarb again so I decided I needed to make something new and special out of it. For some reason all I've talked about with my friends lately is flavoured syrups and sodas, probably because we're so very awesome. So I decided that this would be a perfect moment to make some of my own! It makes a super delicious and refreshing summery drink! I'm excited to use the same basic recipe to make a whole bunch of different drink syrups over the summer.
rhubarb simple syrup.

3/4 C. brown sugar.
1/2 C. water.
2 C. coarsely chopped rhubarb.

In a small saucepan bring the water and sugar to a boil on medium-low heat, stirring every once in a while to keep the sugar from burning. Add rhubarb and bring back to a boil, simmer for a few minutes and then remove from heat. Let steep for one hour and strain. Makes one cup. Store in the fridge in jar or other airtight container. The stewed rhubarb can be reserved to eat with yogurt or just on its own!

Simple syrup on it's own is just the sugar and water, so you could replace the rhubarb with anything, I think that peaches, pears, lemons or grapefruits would make a really delicous drink as well!

To make into soda pour 3 tbsp into a glass, add ice and top with sparkling water.

Enjoy! xo. T.

No comments:

Post a Comment