eat me:.chai ice cream.

So, I don't know about you, but practically overnight my life has changed to include boots, top buns, giant scarves and tea on a regular basis.  Guys, it's fall.  I love the cozy feeling that fall has, bundling up scarves and sweaters and walking through the leaves - without completely freezing in -40.  Fall is also the time where I start drinking tea again, sometimes even more than coffee.  I know, crazy hey?!  My most favourite tea is chai, so with the sun setting at 7:30 and me considering wearing mittens I decided it was time for one last kind-of summery/welcome fall treat.  This recipe has the same steps and structure as the chocolate ice cream we made last time just with a few different add ins! 

{Ps.  I know the number of posts lately has been lacking, I'm sorry!  Life got a little busy with new jobs and new relationships...but everything is starting to settle into place, including free time for crafts again! }
homemade chai ice cream.

2 C. heavy cream.
5 chai tea bags.
1-2 tsp. cinnamon.
1/2 tsp. ginger.
1/2 tsp. nutmeg.
1/4 tsp. cloves.
1 C. milk.
3/4 C. white sugar.
5 egg yolks.
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.

in a sauce pan bring 1 cup of cream, tea bags and spices to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, simmer for a few moments and then let the tea bags steep while the cream cools a bit.  remove tea bags and pour into a heatproof bowl and add second cup of cream, mixing until smooth. place a strainer on top of bowl. in the same saucepan warm the milk and sugar. while that is warming lightly beat yolks, adding in the warmed milk mixture, stirring constantly. pour back into saucepan and heat over medium, stirring constantly until 170 degrees has been reached and mixture has thickened. make sure you are stirring constantly to prevent scrambled eggs are forming! pour through strainer and combine with other mixture. chill in an ice water bath. freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions or follow these awesome steps to make it without an ice cream maker, it takes some more time but is super simple if you have a hand mixer or even a fork!

I hope you guys are enjoying your first fall days, I know I am! xo, T.

1 comment:

  1. YUM this rocked my world/tastebuds. i love fall too, so so much. (and yay for new jobs and new relationships!!)

    ReplyDelete